How to apply for student housing
Welcome to Alta and UiT! Having a place to live is an essential part of being a student. For many students, this is the first time they are moving away from home so having a good and pleasant living environment is important for enjoying life at university. Please read our guide before you apply and you will find answers to many frequently asked questions.
- Before you apply
1. Apply as early as possible, preferably before or at the same time as you apply for your place on a programme of study via the Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service (NUCAS). The student housing is allocated on a first come, first served basis so the earlier you apply the closer to the front of the queue you are.
However, certain groups will be given priority, including students under 23 and international students on UiT’s lists. Furthermore, students with children will be given priority for two and three bedroom flats, while students with disabilities will be given priority for housing with universal design. Some student housing is reserved for pupils at upper secondary school. Read more about our regulations for allocation of student housing.
2. Download the app Bolig Samskipnaden or visit studentbolig.samskipnaden.no to read about the various student housing we offer. You will find a wide variety of options to choose between: single room or flats, furnished or unfurnished, private or shared kitchen and bathroom, as well as various location. Use the left-hand filter to more easily find the student housing that suits you. Double check that you have selected the right town/city!
- Fill in the application form
1. Select the student housing options you wish to apply for. Your selected options will appear in your shopping basket. The more you apply for, the greater your chances of being allocated student housing. However, you should not apply for student housing you don’t want to live in. If you receive an offer of student housing but decline, your application will be cancelled. If that happens, you will need to reapply and start at the back of the queue.
2. Click on the shopping basket (your housing preferences) and Proceed to application.
3. You can prioritize your preferences under My housing preferences. Check that the housing is in the same town/city as you will study in.
4. Fill in the customer information. Fields marked with * are compulsory.
5. Under Application information, you must fill in details including your preferred moving in date. If you write August, you will normally be notified if you have been allocated housing in June/July. If you apply to move in June or July (or another month), you will be allocated housing if and when suitable housing is vacant.
6. If you need housing adapted for wheelchair users (Universal design), it is important you apply for this so you will be given priority for these. Please note that you must upload medical documentation of your disability in your application. Disability-friendly student housing is only available in Tromsø and Harstad.
7. If you have children, it is important you fill this in, including the name(s) and year of birth of your children. If you don’t fill this in, you won’t be given priority for the family housing.
8. If you have a cohabitant you wish to live with, it is important you fill in this field. Your cohabitant does not have to be a student at UiT.
9. At the bottom of the Application information, you will find a section for comments. Please fill in any additional information you think may be relevant for your application. Do you have friends you wish to live beside/share a flat with? Are you planning to bring a pet (remember you need to apply for this)? Do you have any allergies or medical considerations? Please write such information here.
10. If you are a first-year student and have not yet received document that you have been admitted to a programme, you can jump over the point about documentation. Other applicants may attach documentation of paid semester fee, academic progress, etc.
11. Double check that everything is correct then send your application!
- While you are waiting for a response
1. Soon after submitting your application, an e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address stated in your application (please ensure this is correct when you apply) confirming your application has been received. If you don’t receive a confirmation e-mail, please contact our service centre by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call: +47 78 45 05 25
2. To ensure our applicant lists are as up to date as possible, it is important that you renew your application every second month. You will receive an e-mail and/or a message in the app when it is time to renew your application. If you do not renew your application, it will be cancelled
- Response to your application
1. Our student housing is allocated continuously as the students move out. If you applied earlier and are under 23, you have a good chance of being allocated student housing. Any offer will be sent via e-mail and on your page in the app and on studentbolig.samskipnaden.no. If you applied late and you are over 23, it may be a good idea to start searching on the private market as well.
2. PS: An application will not result in a notification that the application has been rejected. You will remain on the waiting list until you are allocated student housing or choose not to renew your application.
3. Remember to accept any offer of student housing within the stipulated deadline. If you receive an offer of student housing but decline, your application will be cancelled.
4. You can accept an offer of student housing before you know whether you have been admitted to a programme at UiT. If you are not admitted, or choose to study elsewhere, please advise us within one week of the notification from the Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service (NUCAS). We will then annul your tenancy agreement free of charge and refund your deposit.
5. Sign your tenancy agreement on your page in the app or on the website.
6. Pay your deposit within five days of signing your tenancy agreement and before the moving in date. If you have not received your deposit, you will not be able to pick up your key. Pick up your key at Nyland studentboliger in Follumsvei 4, unless otherwise arranged. If you need to pick up your key outside our opening hours, please contact as well in advance by e-mail at email@example.com or call: +47 78 45 05 25
- Short term accommodation
The Norwegian Arctic Student Organisation rents out 16 single rooms at Nyland studentboliger to students who require accommodation in Alta for shorter periods of time.
The tenants have access to a kitchen and may use the communal laundry facilities. Card/chip can be purchased at our offices in Follumsvei 4. The single rooms are equipped with a duvet and a pillow, but not linen or towels. All rooms have WiFi-access. The kitchen is fully equipped, including a TV. Applications can be forwarded to Studentbolig.samskipnaden.no.
Prices (01.08.18 – 31.07.19)
1-6 nights kr. 450,- pr. night
1-7 nights kr. 3150,-
8-14 nights kr. 3 500,-
15-21 nights kr. 4 350,-
22 nights-1 month kr. 4 650,-
If your application is successful, we will send you a confirmation e-mail. The bill will also be sent on e-mail. Even if you decide to move out earlier than planned, the full amount must be paid. Check-in and check-out : from 14:00, check-out from 10:00